Small spaces can drive us crazy, they can feel cramped, feel small, and we don’t really know what to do with them. We are talking small bathrooms, utility rooms, closets or other small areas that are tight on space.
Here are some ideas and design tips on how maximize small areas:
- Use Light Colors – Dark colors will make a room appear more compact, light colors and hues will help to open up a room.
- Utilize Shelves – An excellent way to utilize small walls is shelves. Invest in attractive canisters to store away bathroom essentials.
- Get the right Window Treatments – Find blinds or shades that work on small windows; stay away from vertical blinds, instead work with light-filtering cellular shades, light-filtering roman shades or blinds that have a small stack, so when the shade is raised, the eye is able to move beyond the wall and see outdoor space.
- Add a mirror – An easy and great design trick to make a small space appear bigger is a full-body mirror. It helps to visually expand a space.
- Choose small space furnishings – Decor and furnishings should be small, since items that are too big can quickly feel overwhelming. Neat pieces, compact frames, clean lines help in these areas.
- Keep it clutter free – In small spaces any additional visual distraction of clutter and items will feel overwhelming. By keeping decorations and other items to a minimum you help keep the space organized to the eye.