It is October. Our kids are back in school and a new season is beginning. This is also an important time for recognition.
Unfortunately every year accidents involving window coverings and their operational cords contribute to serious accidents and even deaths in the US. Just in August of 2009 millions of window shades and blinds were recalled following child strangulation deaths and injuries. The companies involved in the recall are Vertical Land Inc., Lutron Shading Solutions, Lewis Hyman Inc., IKEA, Victoria Classics, and Pottery Barn Kids/Williams-Sonoma, Inc.
Today we want to urge parents and caregivers to “play safe, live safe” and install only cordless window coverings in young children’s bedrooms and sleeping areas. We encourage everyone that has children or pets to follow these important cord safety rules:
- Replace window blinds, corded shades and draperies manufactured prior to 2001 with today’s safer products.
- Move all cribs, beds, furniture and toys away from windows and window cords, preferable to another wall.
- Keep all window pull cords and inner lift cords out of the reach of children. Make sure tasseled pull cords are short and continuous-loop cords are permanently anchored to the follow or wall. Make sure cord stops are properly installed and adjusted to limit movement of the inner lift cords.
- Lock cords into position whenever horizontal blinds and shades are lowered, including when they come to rest on a windowsill.
In today’s market there is a great variety of cordless shades available. Here is a list of products that can be ordered with cordless lift systems:
- Cellular Shades (hugely popular); a little (often clear) handle allows you to lower and raise your shades
- Pleated Shades
- Roller Shades
- Solar Shades (depending on brand available with cordless lift)
- Wood Blinds (available depending on brand) – when paired with a Wand (vs. Cord Tilt) eliminates all cords
- Faux Wood Blinds (available depending on brand) – when paired with a Wand (vs. Cord Tilt) eliminates all cords
Also, another added benefit when ordering products with cordless lifts, is a great streamed lined, clutter-free look Other options for added child safety would be all products with a continuous cord, keeping the cord “fastened” with a cord tensioner and at a constant length.
Let’s make sure we keep our loved ones safe. Ace of Shades would be glad to help you find the right product ensuring your house is safe regarding your window covering needs.