Tomorrow on April 22nd is Earth Day, globally celebrated in over 192 countries. On Earth Day we honor the earth and the concept of peace.
Earth Day is about acknowledgement of all the gifts and wonders nature has to offer. It is also to acknowledge how fragile it is and realize that protecting our earth is essential. We all know that in reality we aren’t exactly gentle to our planet earth. As a matter of fact the pollution that mankind creates is just staggering.
Dirty drinking waters kill children daily says a Unicef study. 14 billion lbs. of garbage are dumped into our oceans every year. People that live in areas with high air pollution have a much higher chance to die of lung cancer. A staggering 40% of our lakes in America are too polluted to swim in them or fish. Americans make up less than 5% of the world population but produce 30% of the world’s pollution. This list could actually go on as to what we create in waste and pollution, so let’s see about our steps we can take right at home to help mother earth:
- Since we are in the window covering industry, we will bring up this point first: Let’s insulate our windows!! Cellular Shades are a great insulator saving energy all year around and keeping heating and cooling down.
- Let’s turn off our lights, too often we leave lights on when we have long left a room.
- Are you recycling? Let’s separate our garbage as much as we can. Most communities have now recycle service, let’s participate.
- What about using less water? Such a precious recourse, but we keep over-using. If everyone scaled back 10%, what a difference we could make. I have personally stopped watering my lawn in the summer time – and we are talking Texas heat!!
- Are you using re-usable shopping bags? I know I am, it’s so easy to do.
- Turn down the heat, especially the water heater. A few degrees can make quite a difference, but you still will be just as warm taking your shower.
- Go Solar! It isn’t a sensible solution for older homes, but for new homes in the right regions it could make all the sense in the world.
- Carpooling, so many times we could ride together. Why not? You might enjoy socializing as an added bonus.
Of course there could be so many more things one can do. At the end of the day we should all put on our thinking caps and realize where we could cut down on waste, energy or pollution. We can make all the difference if everyone just puts in an effort. Happy Earth Day!